There will be no hum-drum barbecue on the beach for us this Memorial Day, no way, no how. It’s a long weekend in Puerto Rico, Israel and China for this family — or at least some noshing at their wee little outposts in San Diego’s Balboa Park. The House of Pacific Relations International Cottages’ Ethnic Food Fair takes place Sunday, and I’ll be first in line for the plaintains, potato pancakes and pu-pu platter. OK, more like lo mein noodles in a cardboard cup, but still … it sure beats paying top dollar for the last half-melted popsicle from the ice cream truck.
- India has its own take on the ethnic food fair, only its version takes place in Delhi every single day … and, well, the whole ‘international’ aspect is sort of lost on them. But I, for one, wholeheartedly support any offerings of exclusively Indian food, especially if it involves all the chapatti I can eat.
- I would bathe in cilantro if I could, but to some people, it quite literally tastes like soap. And for these people I am sorry. Truly, truly sorry. You have no idea what you’re missing. (Really? Salsa without cilantro?) But take heart: It’s not your fault.
- I’m not sure I agree with the premise behind this article about how the Web is changing the way we eat. But I will admit that flaming a bad dining experience via Yelp takes some of the sting out of yeasty wine and the horror known as “avocado on pizza” (do you hear me, Borrelli’s?)
- Bacon. Fruit. Cups. I don’t think there’s really anything else to say.
- Would you ever eat six Krispy Kreme donuts in one sitting? Of course you wouldn’t. Then why are you drinking Rock Star energy drink?
- Entirely unbeknownst to them, author Michael Pollan (“The Omnivore’s Dilemma”) and celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain have been battling it out for pole position as my foodie boyfriend (Michael’s got the brains, and Anthony has this). Sorry Mike, but Tony just pulled ahead in the rankings after Salon.com revealed your somewhat chauvanistic views about women in the kitchen (or out of it, anyway), and how they’ve ruined everything. Stick to farm bills, Pollan. They’re far sexier.
- Even it comes in a cute little eensy weensy bottle and fits perfectly in the seat pocket in front of you, it’s still booze, and it will still give you jet lag. Skip the stuff, eat low-cal meals the week prior to your flight and the only time difference you’ll be noticing is how long it takes for an Irish toilet to flush (really.. they take an inordinately long time. Like, eons. And yes, this is the sort of thing I notice while on vacation).
- This is how recipes should look.
- Millions of people around the world have no choice but to live on a dollar a day. One couple from Encinitas, Calif. (represent!) decided to do so of their own volition (and wrote a book about it). Find out what they ate, and how food costs are related to the zombie apocalypse.